The Virtual Pandemic
Just like Newton’s third law, in every step of advancement humanity makes, there will always be equal and opposite challenges associated. For Technology, humanity’s greatest development, the main challenge every individual and organization faces is the virus.
A virus can be defined in multiple ways be it scientifically or technologically. However, two things will remain constant; one is that it is a foreign object, and two, it can multiply and spread.
Just like the ever-present, Coronavirus, Computer Virus has been a common enemy for a while. There are various types of these malicious software emerging, faster, and more destructive. Even the government and some famous people were not immune to this calamity. But of course, a problem is not without a solution.
Security Software is the vaccine for the Computer Virus. It has been around since the 1960s and has been continuously evolving in response to the level of threat arising. Now that there are dozens of Security Software brands in the market, users now face a simple but important problem- What security software do I use?
Computer Viruses 101
First, to be able to come up with a definite solution, one must be knowledgeable of the problem they are facing. In this case, here are some of the types of these “diseases” you may encounter:
- Viruses – for starters, what most of us perceive as a Computer Virus is called Malicious Software or Malware. A Computer Virus, on the other hand, is a type of malware program that modifies host files. The Virus “infects” other files making them hard to clean.
- Worms – this type of malware has been around longer than the Computer Virus. Worms came from message attachments in Emails. It is self-replicating and can spread without any action from the end-user.
- Trojans – the most common type of malware. Trojan arrives via Email or when an infected website is visited. Trojan works by masquerading as a legitimate program but contains malicious instructions. Another type of Trojan, Remote Access Trojans (RATs) which enables the attacker to take control over the victim’s computer remotely.
- Hybrids and Exotic Forms – is typically Trojan or Worm combinations called Bots that attempt to make an exploited individual client a part of a larger malicious network.
- Ransomware – it encrypts your data and holds it hostage in exchange for cryptocurrency. Through this, hackers can also figure out how much ransom a victim can afford.
- Adware – malware which attempts to expose the victim to unwanted and potentially malicious advertising.
- Malvertising – this malicious program utilizes legitimate advertisings or ad networks to deliver damage to unsuspecting victims’ computers.
- Spyware – software that gathers personal information to sell back to advertisers, marketers, or other parties interested in your information through an Internet connection.
Understanding Different Security Protection Software
Just like vaccines, Security Software also has various types made for a specific virus. Now that the types of malware are differentiated, these programs serve as a defense to the former to avoid loss of virtual assets:
- Firewall – is the oldest type of Security Protection Software. This simply attempts to control all incoming and outgoing traffic between networks to prevent the spread of a virus within that network. A Firewall can either be a hardware component or software.
- Antivirus – is a type of Software Security Protection that finds and destroys viruses, hence the name. This program often has an auto-update capability to keep up against current threats.
- Anti-Spyware – gives you protection from Spyware programs. This scans your hard disk and registry then either remove them or prompts the user to remove them.
- Anti-Malware – includes protection from Viruses, Worms, Trojans, and Spyware. Anti-Malware programs seek the latest computer threats and counteract them.
- Anti-Tamper – A security protection that hampers the modification of the host software or application. This can also be used with licensing platforms to strengthen it against strong attacks.
Your Trusted Security Solution Partner
Micro Image is a dynamic company with a wide range of products and services to offer that can give companies more options to improve their operations using the latest technology available. The company also offers solutions to different technology challenges that businesses experience specifically in terms of security in their daily operations. Browse our available security solutions on the products and services page.
Talk to our Sales or Technical Professional today and let us provide you the service you deserve.